Are you getting married in 2017? Congratulations! This year, you and your partner will start this next exciting phase of your life together. Planning a wedding can be so much fun! But it can also feel overwhelming at times.
At Samuelson’s Diamonds, we’re more than just a jewelry store. We truly love to celebrate life’s most special moments with our customers! That’s why I hope this post will be a great resource full of advice about some of the most important to-do items on your wedding list — as well as some surprising things many people forget to think about.
1. Book Your Wedding and Reception Location Early
If you’re having a big wedding, there’s a good chance you’ve already picked your venue and chosen a date. If you’ve opted for a smaller, more private wedding, you may or may not have nailed down those details yet.
Either way, the location will make a big difference for you, your wedding party, and your guests. Do you want a destination wedding in a tropical island paradise? Or does a big wedding in your hometown sound more romantic? (Samuelson’s Diamonds is based in Baltimore, and I can tell you from experience that Maryland is a beautiful place to get married!)
If you’ve already chosen a date and venue, skip to the next item on the list. Otherwise, here’s some advice:
- Budget: Set a budget early that you can stick to. It will take a lot of stress out of the process and allow you to focus on planning a beautiful event you’ll never forget!
- Date: Summer and fall are the most popular times to get married in Maryland (mostly due to the weather) according to The Knot. But you you might find it’s easier to book the venue you want in an “off season.”
- Location: In Maryland, you have your pick of backdrops, from historic churches to secluded beaches, to turn-of-the-century estates, and more!
- Guest List: Some couples go all out on their wedding, while others prefer a quiet ceremony with only close family and friends. You may even choose a small ceremony and then a large reception on another day that everyone can attend.
Just remember, it’s your big day — it’s up to you!
2. Consider a Wedding Website
Here are just a few things you can do with a simple wedding website:
- Put the URL on your invitations so guests can visit (and even bookmark) your site
- Host or link to your wedding registry
- Include directions to the venue
- Provide additional information that wouldn’t fit on the invitation
- Upload your engagement photos!
- Include a bio and “how we met” for guests who only know one of you
- A way for guests to RSVP online
- Any other information your guests might want
3. Think about Your Registry
If you decide to set up a wedding registry, take some time early on to think about what you really want and need. If you and your partner don’t already live together, kitchen essentials and other home-related items are no-brainers.
You might also consider including travel items you’ll need for your honeymoon, like luggage, a camera, or passport holders. You could also give guests the opportunity to donate to your favorite charity.
If you’re still short on ideas, you might find inspiration from this registry checklist from The Knot.
4. Hire Vendors that Fit Your Wedding’s Vibe
It’s not just about finding the most skilled photographer, band or DJ, florist, baker, and more. It’s about finding people who understand the feel and aesthetic of your wedding — people who see your vision and are excited to celebrate your special day with you!
Will your wedding include a scenic ceremony overlooking the Chesapeake Bay? You might want a photographer who has experience with outdoor shots in that area. Are you and your soon-to-be spouse Charm City natives through and through? Consider serving local favorites like steamed blue crab and Natty Bo at the bar.
Or, if you’re a big fan of live music, you might hire a great local band to support your area’s music scene.
5. Choose Clothing & Accessories for the Big Day
For most couples, the dress is the biggest and most time-consuming purchase when it comes to clothing. But what about jewelry and other accessories? A delicate pair of earrings or a simple diamond necklace can really complement a wedding dress.
If you’re interested in wedding jewelry and you’d like to find something that looks absolutely perfect with the rest of your ensemble, we’d love to help. Stop by our Baltimore store anytime!
6. Don’t Forget Your Honeymoon!
The whirlwind of wedding planning can make it hard to find time for much else. If your goal is to take a honeymoon after your wedding, don’t forget to set aside some time to make a plan and set a budget.
Here’s some advice:
- Talk to your significant other about destinations. Make sure you’re on the same page.
- If you have the time and budget for it, you may even take a longer honeymoon with trips to two distinct locations!
- Book any plane tickets, lodgings, and organized tours as early as possible.
- Be organized, but leave some free time for spontaneous excursions and unexpected surprises!
Possibly my most important piece of advice is: Ask for help! If you know any experienced travelers, see if they have any tips for a smooth sailing and stress-free trip. They might have some great advice you’d never have thought of!
7. Choose Your Wedding Bands
Your wedding bands are a beautiful symbol of your commitment and the unique connection you share. It’s important to choose a ring you’ll love to wear every day! You may even want to solder (fuse) your wedding band and your engagement ring together.
When you choose the perfect wedding band, you’ll get to make decisions about:
- Wedding ring styles and sizes
- Precious metal options, like gold, platinum, and more
- Diamond and other precious stone options
- Special personalized engravings
Finding the perfect wedding band at Samuelson’s Diamonds is an experience like no other. You’ll be able to browse our huge array of hand selected ring styles. Plus our jewelry experts will be there to help you every step of the way — or simply answer any questions that come up.
Schedule an appointment for a consultation today or simply stop by our Baltimore store! We’re open Monday through Friday from 10am-5pm, and Sunday from 10am to 4pm.
Read The Latest News From Samuelson's
Ring of the Month: AGL Certified 4.30 Carat Burma Ruby and Mine Cut Diamond Ring
By virtue of being both a buyer and seller of estate jewelry, we often have the privilege of coming across truly rare gemological pieces. Over the summer, we acquired a stunning ruby and diamond ring which has proven to be among the rarest of gems: a…
Repurpose, Reuse, Recycle: Buying Diamonds is a Sustainable Practice
In recent years, there’s one particular trend that has come to stay and does not appear to be going away any time soon: sustainability. While it has become a hot topic recently, we’re glad to say that we’ve been ahead of the curve for almost as…
The History of Stieff Silver
There are numerous companies with long legacies in Baltimore City. Here at Samuelson’s, we’re proud to be one of them as we near our 100th anniversary. Another local company that we have high respect for is Stieff Silver. Known for their high-quality…
The 4 C’s and Why They Matter When Buying a Diamond Engagement Ring
Congratulations! You’ve found the perfect partner and you’re ready to take the next step into building your lives together. At Samuelson’s Diamonds, we are here to help you understand your choices, learn about diamonds, and work within your budget…